Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Welcome to Crow Poetry

Hau Mitakuye! (Hello, my relatives)

Welcome to Crow Poetry, a brand new venue for poetry lovers, progressives, and ???
On this site, I will be posting original poetry, both my own and friend's, as well as commentary on world events and announcements of poetry events in Colorado, and the Denver, CO area.
It is part of my personal mission: to help to make poetry part of the national dialogue. I consider the following poem to be my mission statement:

A Dream My Size

More than anything
I wish to write
poetry that rattles the Earth
and trembles the foundations
of human experience

I want to compose lines
that thunder across the hills
and lay low the walls
erected by the soul
to hide itself from the world

To wish anything less
would be to pursue a dream
too small for me

Some of the poetry here will reflect current events and contemporary life, and many other themes.
I will be offering poetry chapbooks for sale, both my own and friend's, and I will have an eye out for original poetry to include in a possible anthology, funds raised to go for a yet-to-be-determined charity.

I chose the name Crow Poetry for this blog, because crows have been a theme in my life, and especially in my poetry. My first chapbook is titled Crow Dreaming base on a poem by that name:

Crow Dreaming

Crows haunt my dreams

Perched on the distant edge
of my conscious mind
they call out to me

Whether to draw me
into some other life
or call me back to this one
I am not aware

I only know
I have been away
and
when I’m fully awake
they're gone

Crow is the keeper of the sacred law and the messenger of the great mysteries, the guardian of ceremonial and healing magic. Crow is a guide to new consciousness. Any time Crow is around, magic is also, and you are about to experience a change in perception. Crow is also one form of the creator/trickster god who made the world and causes mischief.

I encourage readers to post poetry. If I like the poetry well enough, I will feature it in a posting (with the author's permission). I will be moderating all comments, so if yours doesn't appear right away, please have patience, I am working a regular job as well. Maybe someday I will be able to make a full time living as a poet, but the record on that has not been encouraging.

Hoka Hey



No comments: